Lishman’s Butchers crowned Smithfield Star Awards Champions
The Leeds Road shop struck diamond by presenting the best product in the Innovative Sausage category with its Chilli Cheese Dogs, which had first picked up a top-ranked 3* rating.
Judges then pitched the Hotdog against 12 other diamond award winners, before nominating it as the finest in the entire competition. They deemed it “a fantastic looking and tasting product, with a great distribution of ingredients, a lovely taste and the chilli did not overpower the lovely pork flavour.”
Lishman’s describes its Chilli Cheese Dogs as a true Yorkshire Frankfurter made with shoulder pork from RSPCA Freedom Food-accredited pigs, naturally beech smoked, then flavoured with cheddar and jalapenos. Unlike some popular brands of hotdogs, Lishmans ‘Hotdogs’ contain no mechanically recovered meat.
David Lishman, who is the current Q Guild of Butchers national chairman and runs the multi award-winning shop with his daughter Emma and a 16-strong team, said: “Naturally, we’re over the moon to be chosen as Smithfield ‘Star’ Awards champion of champions in the face of such strong competition from other leading fellow butchers nationwide. It is one of the highest accolades an independent Q Guild butcher can ever hope to attain. I dedicate it to our entire team.”
For the first time this year, the revamped Smithfield ‘Star’ Awards had a brand-new star rating system through which 3*, 2* or 1* certificates were awarded to products achieving a set standard. Diamond awards are then achieved by pitching all the 3* products against each other to find the ‘Category Champion’
A brace of Diamond Awards was picked up by two entrants:
* Thomas Johnston in Falkirk, Scotland with their Traditional Pork Sausage and Fresh Meat Daily Display
* Owen Taylor & Sons, of Leabrook, Derbyshire with their Herby Sausage and Home-made Pastrami
Remaining diamond award winners were:
* Chase Farm Shop & Café, Roughley, Sutton Coldfield - Rindless Dry-cure Streaky Bacon
* Buckwells of Southsea - BBQ Mighty Steak Skewers with Black Garlic
* Coates Butchers, Coxhoe, Co. Durham - Chilli Black Pudding
* Martin Player High Class Butcher, Whitchurch, Cardiff - Beef Burger made with dry-aged Welsh chuck beef
* J W Mettrick & Son, Glossop - Large Free-Range Pork Pie
* Robinsons Butchers & Deli, Tettenhall, Wolverhampton - La Carne Di Cervo Lasagna (classic lasagne using venison)
* The House of Bruar, Blair Atholl, Pitlochrie - 28 day matured Aberdeen-Angus Steak Pie
* Cranstons Butcher + Maker, Penrith - 21-day Dry Aged Sirloin Steak.
* Nicholson’s Butchers, Whitley Bay - Chicken Kiev
* Young Butcher of the Year Robert Darling from Turnbulls Butchers, Alnwick
Among several new awards categories this year was the Young Butcher of the Year, open to all aged under 24 and introduced to both recognise and reward the industry’s rising stars. The honour of becoming the first-ever recipient fell to Northumberland and 18-year-old Robert Darling, of Turnbull’s Butchers in Alnwick.
Part of the brief was that nominees must have developed a product sold in the shop and Robert’s was Pork Wellington, awarded 3* and universally praised by the judges as being “technically excellent and performed well when cooked.” They said they loved the taste especially with the added chorizo and morcilla.
Butchers Q Guild General Manager Claire Holland said: These awards are a great way of showcasing our members and their achievements. They work really hard to develop outstanding products and to keep up with consumer trends therefore to have it topped off with an industry judged accolade is the icing on the cake, for which they should be very proud.
“As supreme champions, Lishmans have proved that the hard work in developing these pays off. An outstanding product, their Chilli Cheese Dogs offer stiff competition to many other hot dogs on the market. By using local pork as well, they truly are a regional product to be proud of.”
Smithfield ‘Star’ Award sponsors were Lucas Ingredients, Dalziel, Innovative Food Ingredients, British Charcuterie Live, Weddel Swift, Verstegen, Taste of Game, Scobie & Junor and Institute of Meat.
- ENDS -
For further press info, contact Robin Moule, Moule Media, on 07976 5559961, email email@example.com. Q Guild General Manager Claire Holland can be contacted on 07918 762254, email firstname.lastname@example.org
Pic caption 1: Several members of the supreme championship-winning Lishman’s Butchers team celebrate their Q Guild Smithfield Star Awards successes outside the Leeds Road shop. David Lishman is pictured centre, with daughter Emma right, joined by, from left, butchers Andrew Waterhouse, Joe Smith and Richard Dean.
Pic caption 2: Emma Lishman with the Q Guild Smithfield Star Awards supreme champion Chilli Cheese Dogs and trophy.