Pot Roast Brisket
A warming casserole recipe featuring brisket and chorizo sausage using a slow cooker.
- 1 x 1.3kg/3lb lean brisket or silverside joint
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
- 30ml/2tbsp sunflower oil
- 50g/2oz chorizo sausage, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 red onions, peeled and chopped
- 1 small pumpkin or butternut squash, peeled, deseeded and roughly chopped
- 200ml/7floz good, hot beef stock
- 1 x 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 2 bay leaves
- 30ml/2tbsp freshly chopped thyme leaves
Instructions:Place the joint on a chopping board and season.
Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan and brown the joint all over with the chorizo. Transfer to a large plate.
In the same frying pan add the remaining ingredients and cook over a moderate heat for 3-4 minutes.
Spoon into the slow cooker and place the joint and chorizo on top.
Turn the slow cooker to HIGH and cook for 4-6 hours or LOW for 8-10 hours, or according to your manufacturers’ handbook.
Remove the joint from the cooker, slice and serve with the sauce and cheesy mash.
Increase the stock to 300ml/½pint and follow the method up to point 4, but cook in an ovenproof dish in a preheated oven at Gas mark 3, 170°C, 325°F for 2½-3 hours instead. If you have time brown the joint and vegetables before adding to the slow cooker. If you are pressed for time omit stage 2 and 3
Images courtesy of AHDB. www.simplybeefandlamb.co.uk
Print View Download PDF
Browse our selection of mouth watering recipes. The Q Guild recipe section will inspire you to try something new today.
Select a Month: