Pulled Shoulder of Lamb with Fennel,Carrot and Chilli Slaw
A flavoursome slow cook whole shoulder of lamb dish coated in a spiced rub of garlic, red chillies, ground coriander, lemon and grape juice.
- 1 x 1.3kg/3lb lean whole shoulder of lamb
- Flatbreads or pitta breads, to serve
- For the Spiced Rub:*
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
- 3 large garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 large red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 45ml/3tbsp ground coriander
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 30ml/2tbsp rapeseed or olive oil
- 300ml/½pint red grape juice
- For the Fennel, Carrot and Chilli Slaw:*
- 1 small fennel bulb, finely sliced or shredded
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and grated
- 60ml/4tbsp sweet chilli sauce
- 60ml/4tbsp light mayonnaise
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 30ml/2tbsp freshly chopped flat-leaf parsley
Instructions:Preheat the oven to Gas mark 3, 170°C, 325°F. To prepare the spiced rub; in a small bowl mix all the ingredients together, except the grape juice.
Place the joint in a non-stick roasting tin and coat on both sides with the rub. Pour the grape juice around the lamb, cover with baking parchment then foil. Roast for 4 hours, turning half way during cooking.
Meanwhile, to prepare the fennel and chilli slaw; in a large bowl mix together the ingredients and set aside.
Remove the lamb from the tin and finish on a medium prepared barbecue for 10 minutes on each side (optional).
Place the joint on a chopping board and `pull’ the cooked lamb apart by securing the joint with a fork and shredding the meat with another fork.
Serve the lamb in flatbreads or pitta breads with the coleslaw.
Images courtesy of AHDB. www.simplybeefandlamb.co.uk
Print View Download PDF
Browse our selection of mouth watering recipes. The Q Guild recipe section will inspire you to try something new today.
Select a Month: