Tri Tip Steaks in a Chimichurri Marinade
Lean tri-tip steaks marinated in the classic chimichurri marinade cooked on a barbecue or under a grill. The marinade is a mixture of red wine vinegar, garlic, shallot, fresh coriander, parsley, oregano leaves, oil and seasoning.
- 4 lean tri tip steaks, weighing 200g/7oz each
- For the Chimichurri Marinade:*
- 100ml/3˝fl oz red wine vinegar
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 large shallot, peeled and finely chopped
- Large bunch freshly chopped coriander
- Large bunch freshly chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 30ml/2tbsp fresh oregano leaves
- 100ml/3˝fl oz extra virgin rapeseed or olive oil
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
Remove the steaks from the fridge at least 1 hour before cooking to bring up to room temperature.
To prepare the marinade; in a large bowl mix all the ingredients together. Pour half the marinade into a shallow non-metallic dish and reserve the remainder. Place the steaks in the marinade mixture and coat well on both sides. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours, or if time allows overnight.
Remove from the marinade (discard the marinade) and cook under a preheated moderate grill or on a prepared barbecue according to your preference (based on a 5cm/2inch thick steak): Rare -2 minutes on each side, Medium Rare - 3-4 minutes on each side, Medium - 5-7 minutes on each side.
Remove the steaks from the pan, transfer to a warm plate, cover with foil and rest for a few minutes.
Slice the steaks, spoon over the remaining marinade and serve with roasted vegetables.
The marinade works well with other types of steaks too.
Print View Download PDF
Browse our selection of mouth watering recipes. The Q Guild recipe section will inspire you to try something new today.
Select a Month:
Enter a keyword here to search the entire site.