A great steak favourite with Mexican flavours. Steak is marinated in garlic, limes, chilli powder, cumin, soy sauce and sugar then cooked on a barbecue with sweet peppers and red oniosn. Sliced and served in warmflour tortillas. Serve with Mexican sides like guacamole and a tomato salsa.
- 450g/1lb lean hanger or skirt steak, trimmed
- For the Marinade
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 60ml/4tbsp rapeseed or olive oil
- Juice of 2 medium limes
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
- 15ml/1tbsp chilli powder or dried chilli flakes
- 10ml/2tsp ground cumin
- 60ml/4tbsp light soy sauce
- 30ml/2tbsp brown sugar
- 3 large sweet peppers (red, yellow and green) deseeded and thinly sliced
- 1 large red onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 6-8 corn or flour tortillas
- To Garnish:
- Guacamole, sour cream, fresh coriander leaves and shredded iceberg lettuce
- For the Pico de Gallo (or Tomato Salsa):
- 225g/8oz ripe tomatoes, diced
- 1 small red onion, peeled and finely diced
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 60ml/4tbsp freshly chopped coriander leaves
- Juice of ½ lime
Instructions:To prepare the marinade; mix all the ingredients together (except the peppers, onions and tortillas).
Transfer half the marinade into a double-lined plastic food bag. Add the beef, seal and marinate in the fridge for at least 2 hours, or if time allows overnight. Toss the vegetables in the remaining marinade, transfer to a second plastic food bag, seal and chill until required.
To prepare the pico de gallo; in a bowl mix all the ingredients together, cover and set aside.
Heat a non-stick griddle pan until hot. Cook the steak for 4-5 minutes on each side (for medium). Transfer to a large plate, cover with foil and leave to rest for 5-10 minutes. Warm the tortillas.
Remove the vegetables from the marinade and cook in batches in the griddle pan for 5-6 minutes until the vegetables start to lightly char. Transfer to a large plate with any juices from the pan.
Slice the steak across the grain and serve with the peppers, tortillas, garnishes and the pico de gallo.
Images courtesy of AHDB. www.simplybeefandlamb.co.uk
Print View Download PDF
Browse our selection of mouth watering recipes. The Q Guild recipe section will inspire you to try something new today.
Select a Month:
Enter a keyword here to search the entire site.